Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Why is nothing easy?? The next step with my printmaking was to replicate the design in fabric that it could be quilted. So on the left is the design I choose from yesterday’s printmaking:

Next to it, it is the fabric version – well sort of. The cutter won’t cut the fabric stencils the right way up so I turned the bonded fabric over on the cutter and it mostly worked. A bit of scissor work required. The pale grey is the failed cut which required lots of scissor work. The dark is the turned over fabric – which means it was reversed!! So I know I am dyslexic but even I should have worked that out!. So then I randomised with the fabric shapes to see if the concept worked. The resident art critic says it doesn’t have enough texture! So the jury is out.

Hopefully when I do my next post, i will have managed to replicate a print in fabric.

Continue Reading »

Last time, I posted my prints on Instagram and Facebook, Maria asked about the colours in my printingmaking. We talked about it on Saturday. She felt I haven’t established a colour palette – she is right I haven’t. My quilts are made with colours I like working with and can easily dye to order. Printing inks have proved more difficult for me to work with. I want mucky colours, not clear colours and I am having trouble mixing them right. I need to find a week where I do nothing else but print!!! Yea, right!! But I know it won’t work till I find that time.

In the meantime, I have been cutting up designs I don’t think have merit as a whole. Cut up I can often find bits I really like. A bit like using “L” corners to isolate good bits of a design. I started stitching into them. The first ones are quite crafty.


And now I have one which has the potential to be made into a quilt.

Printing and Text

Last week, Dot asked me if I had been on workshop to learn to print. Here was my answer:

It is slightly complicated as there is more than one thing going on and I am not sure which process will win, if either! So:

The prints I took to a  CQ West meeting are the result of a dreadful course at Trowbridge College (13 weeks – I wimped out at the end as the instructor was most unhelpful). But I did during the course do lots of research and found that I wanted to do monotypes. I found an artist online whose work I really like – Sandra Kelch. So I went to a printmaker in Trowbridge, Maxine Foster, for two days on my own – her brief was to teach me how to get the effects of Sandra’s work. She was good and taught me a lot of the techniques I should have learnt on the college course.  At home, I have a frame makers press which seems to work fine for the type of printing I am doing. I am using Caligio inks as they are washable. I make card templates and coat them with pva to preserve them. I need to source a slightly thicker card – it works better. The templates are inked up and then I print them one at a time, layering them. This is how I am getting the prints below:

The last Facebook images are the result of a course with Simon Sonsino, http://www.simonsonsino.com/. Stephanie showed me his book last year and two weeks ago I did a course with him. He is a calligrapher gone native!  This was my final piece on paper.

simon-scribble-on-paper

Simon has enabled me to add text to my cloth and just scribble and stamp using balsa wood sticks. I am using FW Acrylics and gesso (for the white). Also adding text using Sharpies and POSCA pens. Below is a detail picture of the fun I am having.

simon-scribble-2

It is a much more liberated way of working. Now to start stitching.

Printmaking

My blog has been very badly looked after – too many things happening and not much of it creative!  I went to our local college to learn how to print – 10 weeks starting in April. It was a disaster – a tutor who taught us very little and was missing both a sense of humour and skill transfer abilities. A dreadful waste of money and exceedingly frustrating – shame the college has all the equipment.

So last week, I spent two days with Maxine – http://www.maxinefoster.com/www.maxinefoster.com/Home.html. She has a studio in her home. She listened to want I wanted to do and worked with me so that I understood the processes I need and bingo, I have had a great day getting it right today.

Used my own hand made templates – card and pva glue. And just played.

I now have lots to think about to get better compositions and have more control over the layering procesß to get both the colours and effects I want – no small task.

I hope you are stitching!

I have given my SAQA Benefit Auction quilt to Alicia to take to Philadelphia for me.  It was lovely to just rustle up a small quilt with left over fabrics from my Wide Horizons piece – and yes, that is now finished as well after much angst which has stopped me dealing with some admin I need to do!!

Chusan - Christine Seager

It is called Chusan – named by my husband as he felt the circles represented portholes.

Back to the admin – 2 SAQA newsletters to be written and images to be loaded onto a group website. Hope you have something more dynamic to do!!

Turmoil 

SAQA have an exhibition deadline coming up for the subject Turmoil. I entered a quilt on the parallel exhibition called Tranquility. It is very soft and pastel in colour – rusted and naturally dyed fabrics. I will post it when I hear whether it got in or not!!! In the meantime, here is Turmoil waiting to be bound, a task I always put off if I can.  

 
I took it over to friends last weekend who looked at it for a few minutes before commenting that it was disturbing and uncomfortable to look at – that works for me. Turmoil it is.  I need to bind, sleeve and label in in the next few days. Closing date is 29th February – Leap Year Day.

I hope you are working hard – Chrisse

%d bloggers like this: