Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for August, 2011

Slightly out of sequence, I have finished my July JQ.  The yellow has not photographed well – the yellow patch and beads are much closer in colour than the photo shows.  Also feel the quilt is a bit messy, lacks good design principles and not professional enough – it very nearly became a UFO however, time is marching on and I need to start on my September JQ.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

I have recently bought Lyric Kinard’s book, Art + Quilt, Design Principles and Creative Activity Exercises. It is based on the principle that design can start from your stash of fabrics.  So I did!

First, one has to photocopy in black and white some of one’s fabrics, cut them up and make paper designs.  These are “visual texture”.  It was a brilliant way of designing a number or pieces.  Here is one of my designs with added text.

I made one of the designs up into a journal quilt.  There are plenty more that could be used either in black and white or colour.  The fabrics in this quilt are discharged with formosul.

The next exercise is called “actual texture”.  I made two journal quilts.  The aim was to use neutrals, so I did one using walnut dyed fabrics and another using fabric dyed with cochineal.

The pink one is not to my taste at all but was sort of rescued by adding raspberry text!

Yesterday, I moved onto the “shape and meaning” exercise.  I am really pleased with the quilting – not perfect by any means but a good start to overcoming the procarastination that happens prior to quilting – I can spend ages trying to decide how to quilt and then not liking what I have done.  I like this and just got on with it.

Read Full Post »

JQ is now bound with black – it might have looked better with a very dark grey.  The black is a bit more constrast than I would have liked. Also not so sure about the beads but they are staying.

Now all I need to do is start a bigger version.

Read Full Post »

Today I have taken a photo of yesterday’s painting and printed a copy of it onto A3. I then laminated the paper to very pale organza.

Next stop was to print the word, RED.

Final task for today was to quilt in in a wandering red thread. Tomorrow I will bind it.

Read Full Post »

Hello textile world!

This my first post – just a test run.  Here is the picture I painted today

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: